Because you’re a complex biological organism. You’re a living, breathing being with a living, breathing body that’s with you every second of every day, a body that will be seriously compromised without appropriate nourishment, sustenance and attention.
Because with all the demands placed on you it’s all too easy to spend the bulk of your time in your head; just thinking and doing and forgetting all about what your body needs and how wonderful it is to just be.
Because your physiology is such that your body mirrors what’s happening in your mind, so hearing what’s happening in your body can be a great indicator for what’s happening in your life.
And because you know how it goes when you don’t listen to your body. You get run down. You feel disconnected. You feel exhausted. You get stressed. You experience struggle. You perform below-par. You become half-hearted. You get judgemental. You feel pain.
Tip of the iceberg, right?
If natural confidence is about integration and grace – and it is – then interoception is how you get to integrate your body as a valuable piece of your whole.
Give this your best shot.
- Sit quietly for 5 minutes without any distractions. Slowly, gently, move your attention into your body, and get a sense for how it is right now. Is it feeling tense? Relaxed? Tired? At ease? Pumped? In pain?
- Don’t judge how your body is or try to do anything with it. Spend 5 minutes simply getting used to sensing it.
- Is there something your body needs today, what would it be? If it’s aching, maybe it needs to stretch. If it’s hungry, perhaps it needs nourishment. If it feels tight, maybe you can breathe and let go. If it feels tense, take a walk to clear out some cobwebs. If it’s tired, how about a 20 minute nap or hitting the hay 30 minutes earlier than normal.
- What one thing will you do today to honour your body?
- Every day for the next week, keep this sense of your body with you. Just check in to see how your body is, what it’s telling you about how you are and what it might need.
Let me know what you find.